One of the Best River Tracing is at Golden Grotto!
It’s a very wanted destination, even local Taiwanese people don’t know how to go there.
Only addicted river tracers go there.
Looking for a TOUR or for INFO, here we go!
FIRST TIME at Golden Grotto?
For the first time, you need to take a guide because it is hidden, yes it is hard to find the first time! We took an Aboriginal guide to help us. He just “guided” though.
Later when we guided friends, they could not guess the entrance, it’s kind of a secret world like in the movie Lost World!
SAFETY in the River Tracking
When DIY River tracing Golden Grotto, you must take care of falling rocks in certain parts of the cave.
- Observe carefully (tautology 🙂 ) the environment before going forward.
- Wear helmets!
- Do not blindly follow the person in front of you! OBSERVE the “ceiling” and the “ground”.
Before reaching Golden Grotto, you will be tracing up the river, in some sections, the flow can be strong but it is not deep.
- Always have a watch on your partners!
- It is a TEAMWORK, you have to help each other to overcome the water current!
- There are so many lovely spots to jump into the water!
- From 3 to 10 m high you will enjoy the thrilling of jumping!
What EQUIPMENT for River tracing Golden Grotto?
- River tracing shoes with FELTED bottom (without spikes), a MUST!
- Lifejacket, even if you know how to swim…
- Helmet, even if you think you will not fall…
- Gloves, any non-slippery gloves like gardening gloves.
- OPTIONAL: a wetsuit 2mm, if you are easily cold in the water.
- OPTIONAL: a harness, if you have no strength in your arm to lift your body by yourself.
- OPTIONAL: 1 or 2 carabiners, for the same reason above.
- a rope, a 20 meters rope, minimum 8 mm, a floating rope is better but not necessary
- a dry bag, to keep your picnic meal dry
- a waterproof phone bag.
HOW MUCH does River Tracing cost?
It is not very expensive compared to ski or paragliding or scuba diving.
But it is more expensive than hiking because you must have the equipment.
Well, when hiking high mountains like Yushan, you must also buy good hiking shoes, good thermal clothes, a UV hat, walking poles, backpack, etc.
The rental of the FULL EQUIPMENT should not be over 1000 NT$.
The TIME is the most expensive item!
River trekking at Golden Grotto takes ONE DAY, at least 6 hours for a return trip.
- start River tracing early before 8 am
- Renting the equipment and dressing up can take one hour!
- Manage your time!
- Do not get caught by night! It is dark quickly in the canyon…
Estimate the COST of a DIY river tracing at Golden Grotto:
- The Coach is from Hiking Taiwan Club.
- He/she is not always available.
- Contact us to know about availability before booking.
SLIDE to the RIGHT ===>>
- This is the MAXIMUM PRICE if you rent FULL EQUIPMENT.
- If you do not take the harness or wetsuit then the rental price drops!
- If you plan to do many river tracings, consider to buy your own shoes, it costs about 22.5 s$ in Taipei sports shop for a decent pair of bottom felted shoes. They last for 50 times.
- The guide will carry his own equipment and the precious ROPE.
- The guide is also teaching some river tracing skills.
LAST THING TO KNOW:
This is a river.
The river goes much higher in the mountains.
If you continue upstream you will find 2 other grottos: Black Golden Grotto and Platinum Grotto.
They are harder to reach and it takes 3 days with camping along the river.
It also means that the river can grow up, the current can be much stronger but the level of water will not increase that much.
We went after a typhoon, the water flow was incredible but it was fun!
IF one of the members is afraid of water (yes! we got the case…)
or is not a confident swimmer (we got people who didn’t know how to swim at all)
THEN do not go after a rain,
else the other members will have to pull him/her all the time and that’s really tiring!
Remember it’s a TEAMWORK! Do not go with selfish people who don’t care about you.
- If you like water
- If you are near Hualien
- If you have one day
- THEN DO NOT MISS GOLDEN GROTTO!!!
Use the CONTACT Hiking Taiwan Club page to contact by Messenger or WhatsApp